2016 BMA Nominee For Best New CD by a New Artist
AMBASSADOR OF BLUES AND SOUL
American Showplace Music recording artist Slam Allen is one of the most dynamic and original blues and soul artists on the scene today.
More that just a singer, writer, and guitar player, Slam connects with his audience like entertainers from a bygone era. Think Otis Redding, BB, Albert, and Freddie King, with a blend of Wilson Pickett, James Brown, Sly Stone and a little George Benson and Jimi Hendrix thrown in - making a Slam show a unique musical experience.
As a solo performer, Slam is the recipient of the prestigious Master Blues Artist award from the New York Blues Hall of Fame, a 2016 Blues Music Award Nominee and the proud endorsee of custom guitars by Gerhards Guitarworks and boutique amplifiers by Soul Tramp Amplification.
Growing up, Slam played drums for the family soul band “The Allen Brothers” and later on, learned guitar from his Dad, Harrison Allen and his Uncle, Cecil Allen. As he progressed in their eyes, the family knew they had a special talent to nurture!
As he developed his own style, Slam went to Chicago to learn the ways of Traditional Chicago Blues. Once there, it didn’t take long before the offer of a fill in gig for the legendary harpist, James Cotton - which led to Slam spending the next 9 years (2001 - 2010) as the lead singer, lead guitarist, and band leader for Mr. Cotton. Slam is also credited with writing and singing on Cotton’s 2011 Grammy nominated comeback album, “Giant.”
Slam Allen soloing with James Cotton
“Cotton was directly connected to Muddy Waters, who was a major factor in the blues world - as well as being one of my all time favorites. Playing with Cotton was such a great experience for me! There are things I learned from him that you can't learn from any school. It was a great honor!” says Slam.
Now on his own, and internationally recognized as a seasoned touring veteran, Slam is dedicated to forging his own legacy in the blues and soul world. With seven original albums under his belt, Slam is here to bring back what the music world is lacking - the love and uplifting honesty that makes for a powerful and entertaining musical experience.
From B.B. King to Otis Redding, Slam has a way of making you feel the soul of the music. It's often difficult to tell if he's doing one of his originals or an old blues or soul cover. In the end it doesn't matter... Slam has a way of making all the music his own.
- 2016 Blues Music Awards Nominee for Best New Artist Recording for "Feel These Blues".
- 2015 Blues Blast Nominee for the Best Soul Blues Album of the Year for “Feel These Blues”.
- #11 on Living Blues’ Top 50 Blues Albums of 2015 for “Feel These Blues”.
- # 6 on The RMR Radio Charts top 200 Albums of 2015 for “Feel These Blues”.
- Over 10 Weeks at #1 on Roots Music Report’s Blues Radio Chart
- for “Feel These Blues”.
- 9 Years as the lead singer, lead guitarist, and band leader for James Cotton.
- Singer and song writer for the Grammy-nominated Blues album, "Giant" by James Cotton.
- Featured Article in Living Blues Magazine 2015
- Front cover of The July 2016 issue of Blues Blast Magazine
- New York Blues Hall of Fame Inductee as Master Blues Artist.
- The first full-time Blues artist to work on an international corporate cruise line.
- A national and international performer at music festivals and top venues.
- Featured sponsor and endorser of Gerhards Guitarworks custom guitars.
- Featured sponsor and endorser of Soul Tramp Amplification custom amps
- In 2016 Slam’s songs were featured on network episodes of “Rizolli and Isles” and the Netflix original Marvel production of “Jessica Jones”